Sunday, January 3, 2010

I'm Going to Rwanda

As you may know, this summer I spent six weeks and most of my life savings in Africa volunteering in an orphanage near Arusha, Tanzania. While this experience was very valuable, and these children were absolutely precious, it was a different part of my trip that changed me the most. During my stay in Africa, I visited Sonrise School in Musanze, Rwanda to see if I would be a good fit as an English teacher there. I met many amazing people and saw the hand of God working in the lives of the teachers and students. These beautiful people are truly impacting their country. It did not take long for me to fall in love with Sonrise School, Musanze, and the entire country of Rwanda. That being said, I am returning to Musanze for the 2010 school year starting January 15 through Bridge2Rwanda, an organization whose mission is to create a new generation of well-educated, entrepreneurial, servant leaders in Rwanda—young people committed to Jesus, their country, and one another.

Rwanda is the most picturesque place I have ever been. The mountains, the volcanoes, the lakes, the brightly colored fabrics, and the gargantuan smiles on the faces of the most humble people are awe-inspiring. To know this country was ravaged by genocide, and nearly one million people were killed in 100 days merely fifteen years ago astounds me. Present-day Rwanda is very safe and filled with hope and hard work; the transformation is miraculous.

As Rwanda continues to develop, many needs continue to surface. Most urgently there is a need for learning the English language. Rwanda realizes that for its country to be successful globally, the workforce must compete by speaking English. The country is investing in its educational system by mandating English in its curriculum.

In the aftermath of the genocide, Rwandan schools were decimated, and the country was overwhelmed with at least 400,000 homeless orphans. In the midst of this devastation, Sonrise School was founded by Bishop John Rucyahana to be “light on a hill.” Bishop John’s vision was to create a boarding school that would set the standard for academic excellence and servant leadership. Within five years of inception, Sonrise School was cited in the Kigali New Times as the top primary school in Rwanda. The majority of the students are orphans and Bishop John has a belief that every student is redeemable. Sonrise opened in 2001 with 200 students in primary grades 1-4 and has added an additional grade each year since. Today, the school has over 1000 students in eleven grades and will graduate its first high school class in 2010. In order to further their education and consequently the development of their country, these students need to gain the skills to pass the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) exam. I have met some of the students and see potential and a willingness to learn and succeed in their beautiful souls. I hope to use my love of Rwanda, young people, teaching, and the English language to do my part to make a difference in the world.

It amazes me constantly that God really does work all things together for the good of those who love Him and are called according to His purpose (Romans 8:28). I firmly believe it is no coincidence that so many details continue to fall into place. I hope that as I walk by faith through the doors God has opened for me that He will continue to do amazing things in my life and in those whom I will have the privilege to teach and befriend in Rwanda.

2 comments:

  1. If you have some free time while in Kigali, you should check out Cards from Africa. (www.cardsfromafrica.com) They hire young adults who were orphaned by the 1994 genocide and disease to make some beautiful greeting cards. You can see more at: http://cardsfromafrica.com/our_history.php

    ReplyDelete