Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Mbanda's Consecration

Warning:  Some pictures are sideways.  After fighting with blogger and my computer for three hours, I have surrendered to the technology.  Just turn your head to the side (sometimes to the right, sometimes to the left) and it will be just like the pictures are right side up.

Last Sunday we had the pleasure of attending Mbanda’s consecration as the new bishop of the Shyira Diocese.  Here I will illustrate the day in pictures.  Hopefully it will give you a taste of a pretty typical Rwandan ceremony.

There was very tight security because the President was rumored to be in attendance.  We arrived and went through a metal detector for security.  The girl running the metal detector removed our cameras and took pictures of us with them.  I guess this was to make sure they weren’t bombs!?



We wandered through the crowds to the VIP tent.  Here is my view of the stage from said VIP tent.  Pretty VIP, eh?  Not completely sure what makes me a VIP, but I can offer a pretty good guess.  It starts with a  Mu and ends with a Zungu.



The entire service was in Kinyarwanda, so I had to entertain myself in other ways.  I read an entire book (Gifted Hands by Ben Carson… excellent story), and Peyton read Deuteronomy.



One of the Sonrise High School choirs sang for entertainment.  They are fantastic, and it was nice to see some familiar faces be a part of such an important ceremony.



Finally, two and a half hours after the consecration began, President Paul Kagame arrived.  He received a very warm welcome from the thousands of people in attendance, many of whom probably only showed up because they heard Kagame would be there.



And then the rains came.  Here are Bishop John (the current bishop of the Shyira Diocese) and President Paul Kagame under the same umbrella!



Thousands of people were viewing the consecration without a tent over their heads.  Many opened up umbrellas to keep themselves dry.  Others ran to the church for shelter.  Some just got wet.  Others got resourceful.



The rain did not stop the entertainers from entertaining.  These are various clergymen from all over Rwanda dancing in the torrential downpour.



After about five and a half hours, the ceremony came to a close, and we walked home to a house full of new guests.  Perhaps I will tell you about them later. 

We are thrilled that Bishop Mbanda will be the new bishop of our diocese and look forward to the wonderful things he will do for the Rwandan people!

1 comment:

  1. Love all your pictures and keeping up with how you're doing!

    ReplyDelete