In your land of iPhones and Androids, you may not have as much appreciation for this similarity as I do, but maybe if you take yourself back in time about 12 years, you’ll understand better. Remember your first cell phone ever? Not the car-phone-in-a-bag or the Zack Morris gigantor-phone, but that first Nokia, you know, with the Snake Xenia game to play when you were bored (or wanting to show off the fact that you had a cell phone). Now do you recall the standard ringtone? If not, go to Dubai, or come to Rwanda. You’ll hear it everyday and everywhere. In Dubai I was constantly restraining myself from reaching for my cell phone on the bus, in the malls, on the streets, etc. Every time I heard that chime, I wanted to read my text message. Unfortunately, Rwandan cell service doesn’t quite stretch to the Middle East…
While many people in Dubai (and even Rwanda) have Blackberries and iPhones, it is obvious that Nokia dominates the cell phone market in both lands. There are many different types of Nokia phones, but I am of course partial to my version with the built-in flashlight and endlessly entertained by Snake Xenia, Bounce, and Nature Park. While I had no service in Dubai, I regularly utilized the converter function on my phone to convert both currency and temperature. (Did you know that 47 degrees Celsius is a blazing 116.6 degrees Fahrenheit?)

No comments:
Post a Comment